The VidAngel Fire TV app is not available in the Amazon store, but you can easily install it on your Fire TV or Firestick in a few steps.
- Before you start
- Uninstall the old VidAngel app
- Install an app browser: Downloader
- Allow private app installation
- Manually install the VidAngel app
- Log in
- Using the Fire TV app
- Having trouble?
Before You Start
- Start a subscription at www.vidangel.com.
- Connect streaming services on the mobile app or website: Connect streaming services on the Fire TV app
- Confirm your Fire TV is at least a generation 3, running Fire OS 6: Settings > My Fire TV > About > look for Software Version.
- Confirm that you have access to Developer Options: Settings > My Fire TV > Developer Options. If it's there, you're good to go! It will be needed in a later step.
If you don't see Developer Options listed:
- Go to Settings > My Fire TV > About.
If you have a Smart Fire TV (vs. a Firestick), go to Settings > Device > Software > About.
- Highlight your Fire device. It will show as something like "Fire TV Stick 4K".
- Click the center/ok button on the remote 7 times. Developer options will then appear again in the About menu.
- Go to Settings > My Fire TV > About.
- Recommended: Make sure your Fire TV is up to date.
Uninstall the Old VidAngel App
Check to see if you have any old versions of our app that will interfer with downloading the newer one.
- Go to "Settings" (the gear).
- Select "Applications".
- Select “Manage Installed Applications".
- Scroll down to "VidAngel".
If don't you see the VidAngel app then you can skip the rest of these steps.
- Select VidAngel and then "Uninstall".
- Select “Uninstall” once more.
Install an App Browser: "Downloader"
This app will allow you to download the VidAngel app onto your Fire device.
- Open the Amazon AppStore on your Fire TV (NOT the App Library).
- Search for “Downloader.” Its icon is orange with a white arrow on it.
NOTE: If you don't see a "Search" option, use the Alexa voice option on your remote.
- Click the icon to download and install the Downloader app browser.
Allow Private App Installation
This setting will allow you to download apps that are not available in the Amazon store.
- From the Fire TV home page, select “Settings” (the gear).
- Select “My Fire TV”.
- Select “Developer Options”.
NOTE: If you don't see Developer Options, see the instructions in the Before You Start section.
- Turn on the ability to install unknown apps:
FIRE OS 6:
- Go to “Apps from Unknown Sources”.
- Turn "ON."
FIRE OS 7:
- Go to “Install Unknown Apps”.
- You have to enable any app you want to give installing power to, so it will ask you to authorize the “Downloader” app. Click it to “ON”.
Manually Install the VidAngel App
- Open the “Downloader” app.
- You will need to allow access to photos, media, files, etc.
- If the Quick Start Guide pops up, Click “Ok”.
NOTE: The developer of the Downloader app browser gives his product away for free, but you may see a request for donations.
- Make sure you stay in the "Home" section. You will see a URL bar.
Using your remote, type this in the bar: vidangel.app (NOT .com).
PRO-TIP: You can use the free Fire TV remote app on your mobile device to make typing easier.
If you get the error: "For your security, your TV is not allowed to install unknown apps from this source" then you still need to allow private app installation.
If you receive a “Parse Error” when trying to download the app, that may indicate your Fire TV device is too old.
- Hit “Go” and then “Go” again.
- A popup will ask to confirm that you want to install the app. Click “Install”.
- Once installed, click “Done”.
- In the Downloader app, click “Done” or "Open" to open the VidAngel app.
- Go to the “Apps and Channels” menu, next to the Settings: (3 squares with a +).
- Select "My Apps" and you should see the VidAngel icon.
You may need to also open "App Library".
If the App does not appear
If the VidAngel app does not immediately appear on your Fire device's home page, it may take it a day or two to update its internal app catalogs since you’ve sideloaded the app. In the meantime, here is how you can find the app:
- Use your FireTV’s remote control voice search and clearly say, “VidAngel,” OR
- Go to Settings (the gear) > “Applications” > “Manage Installed Applications” > scroll to “VidAngel” > “Launch application”.
- In the new app select "Log in".
- You can then choose to go to the URL listed on the screen, OR select the "More Log in options" button.
- On a computer or mobile web browser, go to the URL on the screen.
You can type in the URL or use the QR scanner on your phone to be automatically directed to the correct page.
- Input the code to connect your TV app to your VidAngel account.
Once you put in the code the screen will automatically open the main VidAngel movie page.
"More Log in options"
- Input your VidAngel account email and password.
Using the Fire TV App
This app has a self-updating feature, so you won’t have to go through the app browser again. If we ever publish an update (bug fixes, new features, etc.) for the app, then the next time you open your VidAngel app, you will see a screen notifying you of the update and inviting you to install it.
- The updates will generally be very quick (less than 30 seconds).
- Once an update is applied, the old version of the app will automatically close, and when you open VidAngel again you’ll have the latest and greatest version and can continue watching.
- Please note that the first time you install an update from a Fire device running Fire OS 7, it may automatically take you to your settings page for “install unknown apps,” just like you did for the Downloader app, so you can authorize that the VidAngel app be allowed to update itself.
If you're having trouble with installing the VidAngel app or with watching on your Fire TV, you can go here for help: Troubleshoot Fire TV