Because of our filter technology, full movie subtitles or closed captions, are not a simple feature to implement. Since our filters are completely customizable, it's not as simple as just having a closed caption overlay like other viewing services. However, we are able to offer basic functionality and will continue to improve this feature!
- Filters and Closed Captions
- How it works for:
- Captions not working?
Filters and Closed Captions
Please be aware that, unlike our filters, we don't have humans creating the closed caption filters (view Who creates the filters for VidAngel? to learn more), so the accuracy of the filters on closed captions is limited.
What does this mean for you? Well, some words in the captions may be missed and some things are not currently filterable at all. To be clear, your selected filters should always still mute the audio you don't want to hear, but that may not be reflected in the captions. If that creates concerns, we get it, and recommend you don't watch with closed captions. However, if that's not a realistic option for you, please know that we will continue to evolve this feature to make it more consistent and accurate.
How It Works
You'll notice that the visual filters work the same, skipping the things you don't want to see. The language filters will also still mute what you don't want to hear and those words are omitted from the captions:
- Click the Subtitles icon (next to the gear) on the bottom right corner of the movie player.
- Click the "English" toggle button.
NOTE: If you have questions about watching in a different language or using foreign subtitles go HERE.
- If you'd like to adjust the look of the subtitles, click the Settings icon (the gear).
- Click "Options" next to Subtitle.
- You'll be presented with the player's subtitle display options.
- Tap the screen to bring up the player controls and then tap the 'CC' icon.
- The 'CC' icon will turn solid, indicating captions are on:
|NOTE: Captions will not work when casting from the mobile app to a Samsung TV, Fire TV, or an older Chromecast.|
- Click on the remote to access the Movie Player controls.
- Select the subtitles icon (chat bubble).
- Select "English".
(See Can I watch in a different language or with foreign subtitles?)
|Apple Devices: If you're experiencing pausing while using Closed Captions, we have found an issue with the Apple Video Player and our Closed Caption files. It may take some time to implement a solution. In the meantime, you can watch without captions, try to get a faster internet speed, or use captions on a different device.|
On the Fire TV devices, Closed Captions need to be turned on for your whole Fire TV experience:
Settings > Accessibility > Closed Caption > Turn "ON"
The directions may be slightly different for different models so please contact Amazon Support for instructions if this doesn't work for you.
Remember: Captions will not work when casting from the mobile app to a Fire TV.
On the Android TV devices, Closed Captions need to be turned on for your whole Android TV experience:
Settings > Device Preferences > Accessibility > Captions > turn on the "Display" toggle button.
The directions may be slightly different for different models so please contact Android TV Support for instructions if this doesn't work for you.
Are captions not working?
- As mentioned above, captions will not work when casting to a Samsung TV, Fire TV, or an older Chromecast.
- We do not yet have Closed Captions for Apple TV+ content. We're working on it!
- Closed captions will not work with movies and TV shows that were brought in under our old technology.
Some of you may remember our buy-sellback model. Titles that were brought onto VidAngel during that time are not able to support closed captions. However, we are actively going through our catalog and getting those movies and shows updated so that they can also support this great feature.
This means if you're on the web or mobile app and that title does not have the 'CC' button, it is one that needs to be updated. If it would be amazing for you to watch that title with closed captions, please just let us know! Our support team will pass on your request to our Content Team, so they know which older titles to prioritize for updating. You can reach out to Support with your request HERE.