VidAngel has developed our Filtering Guidelines based on data and research to give you the best filtering options, while still preserving as much of the movie as possible. We appreciate the artistry that goes into each and every movie and we try our best to ensure the plot and the storyline remain as close to what the creators intended, even with filters.
Here are some of the guidelines our taggers use when creating filters for VidAngel:
- Childish Language
- Racial Slurs/Bigoted language
- Sexual References
- Captions with profanity
- The word "mofo" is filtered as the f-word.
- "FU" offers a filter as the abbreviation, not the word.
- Words such as screw, douche (douchebag), pr*ck, c*nt, tw*t, sk*nk, d*ck, c*ck, p*ssy, etc. have a profanity filter. If used in a sexual way, then it also has a filter option under Sexual Reference.
- There is a filter for "hell" when used as profanity, but not when talking about Heaven and Hell.
- "BS" would have a filter in childish/crude language.
- The word g*dd*mn can be filtered under both profanity and blasphemy. Each filter covers the entire phrase.
- We do not offer filters for the words God, Jesus, etc when not used in a derogatory manner.
- "OMG" would have a filter in childish/crude language.
- "Geez" and "Gosh" would have a filter in childish/crude language.
Generally, things you would not want your 3-year-old to repeat.
- Darn, Heck, Shoot, Heaven's Sake, Lands Sake, and What The (no profanity intended) do not have filters.
- Words such as t*t, b**b, b*lls, p*n*s, v*g*na, etc. when not used sexually.
- Crap, fart, poop, butthole, effin’, freakin', and frickin’ have filters.
- Phrases such as "shut up" are filtered only if they are used in a mean or hurtful way, not just as an expression.
- The words crap, friggin', or frickin' do not have filters.
RACIAL SLURS and BIGOTED LANGUAGE
- Applies to racist, sexist, and/or discriminatory language in any form.
- The word "nigger", regardless of how it is used, has a filter option.
SEXUAL REFERENCES and INNUENDOS
- Any references or jokes about sex, flirting, innuendos, etc.
- The words porno, pornography, prostitute, sl*t, and wh*re have filters.
- Talk about sexually transmitted diseases.
- References to affairs, someone cheating, or divorce..
- People saying someone is hot or sexy. There is not a filter for this in R/TV-MA content.
CAPTIONS WITH PROFANITY
Captions with profanity will filter what is on the screen. The spoken profanity is included.
- Foreign profanity that is not shown in Captions will have a profanity filter with the English word.
If the people are clothed and lying on a bed talking, we do not offer a filter unless it is pre- or post-sex.
Homosexual and heterosexual relations use the same guidelines.
- Behaviors with action or sexual undertones enticing or implying sexual intent.
- Any signs for sex, such as adult stores or movie theaters, etc.
- Men or women ogling, gawking, staring lustfully, or whistling at another person.
- Sex toys that are not in the shape of genitalia or body parts (otherwise offered in Sex w/ Nudity)
- When sex happens off-screen, or it is immediately before/after
SHOWN WITHOUT NUDITY
- Sex with a discreet camera angle, under bed sheets, etc.
- Includes animals, robots, etc. (we do not consider animals nude).
SHOWN WITH NUDITY
- Sex shown with any body part that would normally be covered by a bikini or Speedo.
- Anyone wearing or using sex toys that look like nude body parts.
- Rape, attempted rape, bestiality, etc.
- References to rape or molestation.
- If the scene contains Nudity or Immodesty, it will also have filters offered for those.
NUDITY (WITHOUT SEX)
- Skinny dipping, bathing, flashing, mooning, etc.
STATUES AND PAINTINGS
- Art, statues, mannequins, drawings, stained glass, reliefs, etc.
- We do not have filters for naked statues if breasts or genitals are not visible.
- They are not wearing clothing but private areas are not shown.
- A person that is covered in a bath towel or sheet does not have a filter option unless cleavage or other immodesty is seen. Then it would have a filter under Immodesty.
FEMALE and MALE NUDITY
- Any body part that would be covered by a bikini or speedo.
Immodesty includes top of the butt crack, buttocks curves or close-ups, and very short mini skirts or shorts (that reveal buttocks).
- Bikinis and revealing one-piece swimsuits.
- Focused chest shots or overflowing cleavage.
- Bare midriffs have a filter option if wearing a bra-like top/sports bra.
- We do not offer filters for natural cleavage.
- We do not offer filters for backless dresses unless they are low enough to show the butt crack.
- For period pieces, or when immodesty is prevalent throughout, VidAngel uses data and research to determine the level/number of immodesty filters offered.
- Cheerleading or ballerina outfits when panties or undershorts (that look like underwear) are visible.
- Formfitting underwear, briefs, and swimsuits (Speedo).
- We do not offer filters for shirtless men unless it is sexually suggestive.
- Lip-to-lip kissing.
- Platonic kisses on the hand, cheek, forehead, or in greeting, do not have filters.
French kissing, making out, or sensually kissing parts of the body.
The violence is not seen on screen.
- Graphic descriptions or details of a violent act.
- Detailed talk of suicide.
- Threatening language.
Violence with no blood.
- All punching, kicking, falling, shooting, stabbing, etc, as long as no blood is visible.
- Any protruding (does not go through the entire body) objects such as swords or other objects that do not show blood.
- Breaking bones if not seen, only heard.
- Intentional aggression or terror, people hanging from moving vehicles, helicopters, ledges, etc. (not injured), a knife being held to someone's throat.
Violence with blood or breaking bones.
- Bloody injuries, splatter, spraying of blood, bloody bodies, bloody dead bodies, etc.
- Bodies that are impaled (all the way through a body).
- Burning bodies.
- Bloody objects if they are dripping or caked with blood.
Gore, bloody guts, bloody severed body parts.
- Disembowelment, all decapitations, all actual severing of body parts, etc. (this includes background).
- Any type of weapons/bullets that cause excessive graphic splatter, shattered skulls, brain matter, etc.
- Slaughtered or hanging meat (for food) does not have filters unless extremely gross.
- Scars if they are extremely gross.
- If a person (alive) has an object protruding from them and there is not any violence currently happening and there is no blood.
- Severed body parts (seen after initial severing) that do not show blood.
- Mass graves of bodies, burning on pyres.
- Dead bodies with arrows or objects sticking out of them with no blood.
- Anything to do with children and young teenagers, such as dead bodies, that are not natural causes.
- We do not have filters for unconscious people.
Alcohol or Drug Use
Underage talk and handling about smoking, drugs, and alcohol, if they go into detail or they are promoting use.
- All discussion, handling, making, and visibility of illegal drugs. Any signage that indicates illegal drugs. This includes unlit cigarettes and cigars in a person’s mouth.
- Consumption only.
- We do not offer filters for alcohol and tobacco.
- Prescription medication does not have a filter unless it is being abused or for recreational purposes.
- Consumption of illegal drugs and underage drinking/smoking, including in the background.
- Consumption only.
- Vulgar gestures
- Human functions
- Life events
- Bodily functions/jokes
- Medical - Graphic
- Medical procedures
- Opening Credits
- Closing Credits
- Episode Recap/Outtakes
This includes, but is not limited to, crotch-grabbing, gestures for profanities, people/animals mimicking any sex act, etc.
- Seizures are tagged only if they are violent, someone has to restrain them, or they hurt themselves.
- When someone is handling a condom (packaged or non-packaged) and the scene is not sexual.
- Someone talking about killing themselves/suicide and/or self-inflicted pain, cutting, etc.
- If a person is getting a tattoo and you see the needle on or going into the skin.
- Swastikas and Confederate Flags do not have filters unless something is said or done that is derogatory.
- Skeletons or medical drawings do not have filters unless there is blood or flesh seen.
- We do not offer filters for friendly ghosts unless they become frightening or do something gross.
- Situations that are frightening or saddening to the character.
- We do tag skeletons and skulls (non-medical or non-normal drawings).
Conversations for life events, bodily functions, etc.
- Death by natural/non-violent causes.
- Female life events.
- Birth, labor, and contractions only have filters if anything is seen or when they start giving birth.
- We do not have filters for the process of dying unless it is very disturbing or involves a child/teenager.
- Gross bodily fluids/functions such as a person passing gas.
- Nosebleeds and such that are not from violence.
- Potty talk.
MEDICAL - GRAPHIC
Medical procedures where blood, organs, or anything gross is shown.
- Vaccines and medical shots when the needle penetrates the skin.
- Doctor procedures that are actually shown that do not include blood.