If you're trying to watch by casting to your Apple TV, using our mobile iOS app, but the Apple device can't "see" or stay connected with your Apple TV, here are solutions to the most common issues:
- Devices are not on the same WIFI network
- Devices are too old
- Reboot your devices
- Turn on permissions
- Closing the VidAngel app
- Airplay keeps cutting out
- Still having trouble?
Devices Are Not on the Same WIFI Network
Your AppleTV and iPhone/iPad will need to be on the same WIFI network so they can "see" each other. Click here to find out how to check if your TV and iPhone are on the same internet network.
Devices Are Too Old
Remember, VidAngel can only cast to an Apple TV using an iOS / Apple mobile device.
To work with the VidAngel app, your Apple device should be iOS 12. You'll also want to make sure you have the most updated version of the VidAngel app on your iOS. You can check that here: iOS
Your Apple TV will need to be at least a generation 4 with a tvOS of 14. You can go to Apple Support if you need assistance identifying your Apple TV device.
You should also check if your Apple TV needs to be updated. You can check for updates by going to Settings > System > Software Updates > Update Software. If that doesn't work, please contact Apple Support for instructions.
Reboot Your Devices
Force/hard close the VidAngel iOS app (sometimes said as "kill the app"). This is especially important with Apple devices since they like to hold onto data, even if it's corrupted. Then restart your iOS device.
You can restart the Apple TV by unplugging it or manually restarting it. You can restart it by going to Settings > System > Restart. If that doesn't work, please contact Apple Support for instructions.
Turn on permissions
You may need to turn on local permissions for the VidAngel app. You can see how to do that here: Can't Cast From iOS
Closing the VidAngel app
Are you closing the VidAngel mobile app after sending it to your Apple TV?
Unlike casting to other TV devices, when casting to the Apple TV you cannot close the VidAngel app; it needs to remain running in the background.
Airplay keeps cutting out
If you have already tried to cast and have connected, but it keeps cutting out, these suggestions may help:
Improve the Connection
If your Apple TV is connected to your internet through a wireless router, it may help to connect directly with an Ethernet cable instead.
Do you have enough bandwidth? If you need more support in this area:
- Do not use any other internet applications (including streaming movies) on any other devices connected to the same Wi-Fi network (including computers, cell phones, or tablets).
- Do not use any other apps on the iOS device while casting your movie.
Refresh the cast
- On the VidAngel app, disconnect the Apple TV connection
- Force/hard close the VidAngel mobile app
- Reboot the Apple TV
- Reboot your router/modem
- Re-open the VidAngel app
You may see a note that you are already connected to Airplay. This is where things can get confusing, but don't worry, you just need to try again.
- Select your title and try to play it
- If you see a message that asks you to replace what is currently playing on the TV, press on "Replace" and then continue.
- If your "Send To TV" button on the VidAngel app looks like you are connected, but it never actually offers the "Play" button for Apple TV, then please hard close the app one more time and start over. You need to see this play button to watch on the Apple TV.
- Select your title one more time and then press the "Send To TV" button. Select your Apple TV, and try again.
Still Having Trouble?
Check out our in-depth troubleshooting: In-Depth Troubleshooting